Wraith
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wraith

Forum for the Guild

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!

Go down 
+2
Eluzai
Kralar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kralar
Council
Council

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Empty
PostSubject: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Strengths:

Prayer of Mending
Renews
Greater Heals
Prayer of Healing
Fade
High Healing Based Armour

Weaknesses:

Flash Healing
Cloth Armour
Low HPs

Strengths

A Priest greatest strength is with the armour that they are given coupled with the Greater Heal.

This armour generally gives them a much greater + healing above all other classes, and gives the ability to dish out big heals where required at a reduced mana cost.

Also they get the ability of a free heal if you have it in your spec, but it is important to know that if the group requires Prayer of Healing (expensive), then you should save this spell for your free heal.

Renews are also very useful if the mobs damage is scattered and you need to top someone off or give the tank that 'extra' edge.

With regard to Fade, over recent weeks I have been changing my view on this spell. Rather than using it when I need to use it. I am now using it (in particular with groups of mobs), when I get the opportunity to use it. This allows you more healing time overall and keeps your aggro down.

And finally POM is something that is worthwhile using once the mob has been engaged - there are occasions when POM used before a mob is engaged creates aggro - so be wary of that.

EG - POM and Renew on Tank..Tank pulls, they miss..Mob hits tank. POM triggers, Priest gets aggro.

Weaknesses

Unfortunately, we are the victims of cloth armour. Which means in most heroics/raids - one hit and we are toast.

The primal mooncloth set is very good to get your footing as healer, but longer term it is a no-no. The main objective of a priest is to get rid of this set and focus on obtaining other more stamina based equipment.

Having 2 sets of healing armour is useful dependent on your situation.

The question you should ask yourself is "Do you stand the chance of getting hit" ??

If the answer is yes, then you put on your full stamina equipment, but not at the expense of your healing gear (anything above 1800 is acceptable buffed).

Examples of this are: Trash Clearing / Karazhan (in the main), Gruul, Magtheridon, Lurker, Aran....

If the answer is no, then you put on all of your healing gear and ignore stamina as a requirement.

Examples of this are: Prince, Nalorakk (you get hit but not enough to kill ya), Curator, Attumen, Illhoof (you shouldnt really be getting hit).

In most cases however, stamina is becoming just as important as your + healing / mana regen etc and it is important to strike the balance between keeping your gear stamina based.

DPS gear is also pretty good for + stamina IF you use the right gems / enchants..

With Flash Healing it can be used during on trash mobs and on bosses where it is required (Gruuls/Nalorakk) - but it is something that should not be overused because it is simply too mana intensive for a priest.
Back to top Go down
Eluzai

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 pm

wrong!

trust me I know.
Back to top Go down
Rambam
Rambam

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:40 pm

What is wrong?
Back to top Go down
Crudor
Admin
Admin
Crudor

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2007-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Eluzai wrote:
wrong!

trust me I know.

Kralar is speaking on behalf of the healing priests Razz I'll perhaps make a post about my shadowy knowledge Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://wraithold.forumotion.com
Eluzai

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 12:50 pm

nope I'm speaking as an ex holy priest with healing experiance all the way up to MH. some of the information in this post is correct but the PoM bit it wrong, as is most of the weeknesses section.
Back to top Go down
YellowSnow
YellowSnow

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Then maybe you would care to explain why you think it's wrong and give them more valid arguments than "Wrong! I've healed up to MH therefore everything I say is right" Arguments like that are made of fail tbh.... Just because you've healed up to MH doesn't necesserily mean you know more about healing than a player thats never raided before.
Back to top Go down
gruknor
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
gruknor

Number of posts : 334

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 2:38 pm

simply a : "wrong... trust me" is not sufficient feedback m8, a lengthy explenation might work better.
Back to top Go down
Crudor
Admin
Admin
Crudor

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Well I've finally actually read the original post. And I personally agree with the majority.

The only points I intend to pick at are:

1. Can't believe that only recently Mr Kral, you decided to use fade as it should be Razz

2. I don't think flash heals are really a weakness... yes they heal for less thana greater, but they're faster... adn damn ahdny at times. I possibly use it jsut as much as greater in most situations, although given ofc that you ned to pull out the greaters some fo the time.

And indeed, if your gonna say ti's wron then give ur bloody opinion and don't make yourself look like an arrogant twat. Or at least if you want to come across as an arrogant twat at tiems (like me Very Happy) Then do it right Razz
Back to top Go down
Rambam
Rambam

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 pm

And trust me, Crudor is an arrogant twat at times :p

What he meens about Flash heal being a weakness is it's mana cost compered whit the greater heal and if I'm not mistaking it causes more threat aswell when u use it much.

And like al the other has said now, u need to give us a better explenation on what meen is wrong and that's why I came whit the simple question " What is wrong"
Back to top Go down
Crudor
Admin
Admin
Crudor

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:10 pm

I ahd a feelign about the mana cost thing... but being at work ahd no way to make entirely sure about it.

Obviously in certain situations the flash heal is the msut use where time is a big factor, and amybe I'm a bit more biased towards using the flash heal cause I currently have the T4 4 piece set bonus, which uses the flash heasl to shorten the cast time of a greater heal.

All coems down to the individual priests style I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Kralar
Council
Council

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Well to address a few points here..yes WRONG! is not a sufficient enough answer and healing upto MH dosen't necessarily give you the knowledge of your own class.

I have healed against uber guild healers before (even those that have commented that paladins make the best healers) .. and I have wiped the floor with them...but there are also some very good healers in those guilds also.

But I am quite interested to know why POM is not a strength...

I am concious that it CAN give you early aggro so it is not always wise to use at the start of the fight...but during the fight ? if it bounces from one person onto the next it COULD save their life and buy you healing time.

Plus POM is a unique spell for a priest class..so no other has it!

With the flash heal spell to expand on what I was saying, I am gonna compare us next to the paladin class (whose strength is flash healing):

Priest:
Not mana efficient
Armour base is not critical strike based

Paladin:
Mana efficient
Armour IS crit based and therefore Flash healing = bigger healing

From what I can gather though Flash healing is much much lower aggro than Greater Healing and with certain fights like Morogrim, you have to be careful with which spells you use and when.
Back to top Go down
Crudor
Admin
Admin
Crudor

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Mmmmm... i still like my flash heals and seem to get the job done Smile

I thought PoM had no aggro for us? Afterall it does count as the target gealing themself.
Back to top Go down
Rambam
Rambam

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 pm

But I'm still waiting on an explenation from Eluzai on what he meens is wrong and maybe give us he's experiance on holy priests
And even tho u have have healing experiance up to MH dosn't even make u a good healer or as Kralar said give u the knowledge of ur class.
And Crudor, it's an easy way to find out if the POM triggers any aggro for us. Just make the tank bodypull and see if it triggers any effect.
Back to top Go down
Eluzai

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 am

right then as I'm now more awake than I was earlier I'll actually finish off what I was going to say, 48 hours without sleeping is not the healiest way of making a flowing and coherant statement.

I shall explain each point as I raise it in a different colour so it's easier to spot. Smile

Strengths:

Circle of Healing
Spirit of Redemtion ( cos tbh what other class can heal after it's dead? )
Inner fire ( improve the armour rating for your priest so that you get hit for less! )
Prayer of Mending
Renews
Greater Heals
Prayer of Healing
Fade
High Healing Based Armour

Weaknesses:

Flash Healing (this is not a weekness you just have to know how to use it correctly)
Cloth Armour
Low HPs

Strengths

A Priest greatest strength is with the armour that they are given coupled with the Greater Heal.

This armour generally gives them a much greater + healing above all other classes, and gives the ability to dish out big heals where required at a reduced mana cost.

Also they get the ability of a free heal if you have it in your spec, but it is important to know that if the group requires Prayer of Healing (expensive), then you should save this spell for your free heal. Or spec CoH and get an Mp5 regen suit of +healing armour and sit and spam one button all day long.

Renews are also very useful if the mobs damage is scattered and you need to top someone off or give the tank that 'extra' edge. Renew should be ticking over at all times on a tank or those who are taking dmg all the time, as it saves the healer having to keep more than a few targets up at any one time, just renew everything that needs it and then focus on your main healing targets.

With regard to Fade, over recent weeks I have been changing my view on this spell. Rather than using it when I need to use it. I am now using it (in particular with groups of mobs), when I get the opportunity to use it. This allows you more healing time overall and keeps your aggro down. All that fade does is reduce your current threat level for the next 10 seconds if your spamming it as and when it come free then your just burning mana that could be used for more useful things like... Healing! sure use it as often or as little as you want tbh it's your choice but if your really pulling aggro from the tanks then maybe it's time they stepped up their game.

And finally POM is something that is worthwhile using once the mob has been engaged - there are occasions when POM used before a mob is engaged creates aggro - so be wary of that. PoM doesn't create aggro that the whole point in using it, if the tank is hit and PoM goes off then it's the tank that will have the aggro from the heal not the priest who cast it. Cast PoM before every pull and you'll actually be doing the tank a favour as you'll be helping them with gaining more aggro.

EG - POM and Renew on Tank..Tank pulls, they miss..Mob hits tank. POM triggers, Priest gets aggro. The reason your gaining aggo in this situaltion is because of the renew not because of the PoM keep the renew until after the tank get it's inital hit in on the mob and you'll not get the mobs comming and hitting you. Smile

Weaknesses

Unfortunately, we are the victims of cloth armour. Which means in most heroics/raids - one hit and we are toast. Can't argue with this... although Inner fire is by far one of the best things a priest can use it gives you an extra 1500 armour so you should be able to take 2 maybe even 3 hits before you die. Smile

The primal mooncloth set is very good to get your footing as healer, but longer term it is a no-no. The main objective of a priest is to get rid of this set and focus on obtaining other more stamina based equipment. Yes and no, The primal Mooncloth set will actually stand you in good stead until most of the way through MH and even some parts in BT although at that point you will be needing to be heading more towards stamina than the +healing Mp5 than the mooncloth gives.

Having 2 sets of healing armour is useful dependent on your situation. ( FACT )

The question you should ask yourself is "Do you stand the chance of getting hit" ??

If the answer is yes, then you put on your full stamina equipment, but not at the expense of your healing gear (anything above 1800 is acceptable buffed).

Examples of this are: Trash Clearing / Karazhan (in the main), Gruul, Magtheridon, Lurker, Aran....

If the answer is no, then you put on all of your healing gear and ignore stamina as a requirement.

Examples of this are: Prince, Nalorakk (you get hit but not enough to kill ya), Curator, Attumen, Illhoof (you shouldnt really be getting hit).

In most cases however, stamina is becoming just as important as your + healing / mana regen etc and it is important to strike the balance between keeping your gear stamina based.

DPS gear is also pretty good for + stamina IF you use the right gems / enchants.. If you are truly looking for some Stamina gear while keeping your +Healing up then look into investing some time into getting the PvP gear that available a couple of pieces of pvp gear can go along way to helping you with any kind of stamina short fall you think you have.

With Flash Healing it can be used during on trash mobs and on bosses where it is required (Gruuls/Nalorakk) - but it is something that should not be overused because it is simply too mana intensive for a priest.This can easliy be countered by having a heavy Mp5 set of +healing gear and then you can sit and spam it all day long with little or no fear of going oom from using it, same with the CoH spec option. True enough it is slightly dictated by the situation your using it in, most boss fights you can use just Flash heal and not have any problems at all sure you might need the odd Greater Heal from time to time but again it's situational and depends on what the other healers are within the raid.

Ok there you go hope that clarifies some of the points I was hoping to make earlier before I fell asleep. Smile next time I'll actually post when I'm awake and not sleep deprived. Smile
Back to top Go down
YellowSnow
YellowSnow

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 7:57 am

Alright, that's more like it! And what the hell were you doing staying awake for 2 days straight?? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Eluzai

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:31 am

not sleeping. Smile
Back to top Go down
Crudor
Admin
Admin
Crudor

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:46 am

So in reality, Kralar wasn't so much wrong as hadn't mentioned everything.
Back to top Go down
Kralar
Council
Council

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 1:55 pm

That's better Eluzai Smile

Some constructive points made there, most I agree with, some I overlooked and a few I dont agree with.

Of course, a lot of my points made are subjective - as anyone's are.

But a point to make POM does generate aggro..I often used POM on a tank before the Prince pull, avoiding using renew and I got aggro...nowadays we just use MD. But it did wipe the raid on a few occasions.
Back to top Go down
Rambam
Rambam

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 5:37 pm

What we all where waiting for Smile
I clearly see have the experiance as holy, which is nice.
COH is speced if u like to have it, I had it earlier but never used it so I got rid of it and used the talent somewhere I needed it more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!   Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Priests .. Strengths and Weaknesses!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wraith :: Things and Stuff :: Class Discussions :: Priest-
Jump to: